Rail is the route to low-carbon transportation.
Rail expansion and development is fundamental to a safe and modern, environmentally sound and socially just transportation system to serve all Nevadans for the 21st century. We support freight and passenger rail projects and proposals, within Nevada and regionally, that will lead to the development of this socially just and environmentally responsible transportation system in Nevada and our neighboring states.
Specific projects that we are advocating for:
- Extension of California’s existing Capital Corridor passenger train service beyond Auburn, east to Reno. This should include rebuilding double trackage between Verdi and Auburn, in the places where it no longer exists.
- Reintroduction of Amtrak’s Salt Lake – Los Angeles Desert Wind Route via Las Vegas.
- Additional Amtrak California Zephyr stops at West Wendover, Lovelock and Battle Mountain.
- Successful completion of Brightline’s high speed rail service in Southern Nevada, including extension of Clark County’s public transportation service to Brightline’s currently-proposed Las Vegas station.
- Build out of a regional rail transit system in Northern Nevada as proposed by Sierra Club.
- Connect Southern and Northern Nevada by rail using existing and abandoned rail where possible.
- Support Nevada Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) Southwest Supply Chain Coalition that will better connect markets and lower costs, while at the same time addressing urgent climate change, safety, and congestion issues.
- Re establish commercial service to Hawthorne Army Base
- Establish intermodal and manifest rail service that originates/terminates in both Northern and Southern NV.
- Development and expansion of service to the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Complex (TRIC), Fernley, and unused/underused industrial tracks in Sparks, Stead, the North Valleys
- Restoration of double track where it formerly existed, and addition of a second main track where feasible) between Weso (Winnemucca) and Sparks (Vista).
- Increase rail shipping options for NV businesses, including ranching and farming.
- Work towards an electrified, carbon neutral mainline rail system in the state.
- Increase rail competitiveness in the state with the addition/expansion of other Class One/Regional carriers.